Nice job updating the KIP. The PR (
https://github.com/apache/kafka/pull/2755/files) for the proposed
implementation does prevent names from being empty, and it trims whitespace
from the name only when creating a new connector. However, the KIP's
"Proposed Change" section should probably be very clear about this, and the
migration section should address how a connector that was created with
leading and/or trailing whitespace characters will still be able to be
updated and deleted. I think that decreases the likelihood of this change
negatively impacting existing users. Basically, going forward, the names of
new connectors will be trimmed.

WDYT?