GitHub user ewencp opened a pull request:

    https://github.com/apache/kafka/pull/4227

    MINOR: Log unexpected exceptions in Connect REST calls that generate 500s
at a higher log level

    The ConnectExceptionMapper was originally intended to handle
ConnectException errors for some expected cases where we just want to always
convert them to a certain response and the ExceptionMapper was the easiest way
to do that uniformly across the API. However, in the case that it's not an
expected subclass, we should log the information at the error level so the user
can track down the cause of the error.

    This is only an initial improvement. We should probably also add a more
general ExceptionMapper to handle other exceptions we may not have caught and
converted to ConnectException.

    ### Committer Checklist (excluded from commit message)
    - [ ] Verify design and implementation
    - [ ] Verify test coverage and CI build status
    - [ ] Verify documentation (including upgrade notes)

    $ git pull https://github.com/ewencp/kafka better-connect-error-logging

    https://github.com/apache/kafka/pull/4227.patch

    This closes #4227

----
commit a2d750a87efc2ac49d6f0b7954488a7deb9f47cc
    MINOR: Log unexpected exceptions in Connect REST calls that generate 500s
at a higher log level

----

---