Jeyhun,

thanks for updating the KIP.

I am wondering if you intend to add a new class `Produced`? There is
already `org.apache.kafka.streams.kstream.Produced`. So if we want to
add a new class, it must have a different name -- or we might be able to
merge both into one?

Also, for the KStream overlaods of `through()` and `to()`, can you add
the different behavior using different overloads? It's not clear from
the KIP what the semantics are.

-Matthias

On 11/17/17 3:27 PM, Jeyhun Karimov wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Thanks for your comments. I agree with Matthias partially.
> I think we should relax some requirements related with to() and through()
> methods.
> IMHO, Produced class can cover (existing/to be created) topic information,
> and which will ease our effort:
>
> KStream.to(Produced topicInfo)
> KStream.through(Produced topicInfo)
>
> This will decrease the number of overloads but we will need to deprecate
> the existing to() and through() methods, perhaps.
> I updated the KIP accordingly.
>

> Cheers,
> Jeyhun
>
> On Thu, Nov 16, 2017 at 10:21 PM Matthias J. Sax <matth...@confluent.io>
> wrote:
>
>> @Jan:
>>
>> The `Produced` class was introduced in 1.0 to specify key and valud
>> Serdes (and partitioner) if data is written into a topic.
>>
>> Old API:
>>
>> KStream#to("topic", keySerde, valueSerde);
>>
>> New API:
>>
>> KStream#to("topic", Produced.with(keySerde, valueSerde));
>>

>> This allows to reduce the number of overloads for `to()` (and
>> `through()` that follows the same pattern) -- the second parameter is
>> used to cover all different variations of option parameters users can
>> specify, while we only have 2 overload for `to()` itself.
>>
>> What is still unclear to me it, what you mean by this topic prefix
>> thing? Either a user cares about the topic name and thus, must create
>> and manage it manually. Or the user does not care, and Streams create
>> it. How would this prefix idea fit in here?
>>

>> @Guozhang:
>>
>> My idea was to extend `Produced` with the hint we want to give for
>> creating internal topic and pass a optional `Produced` parameter. There
>> are multiple things we can do here:
>>
>> 1) stream.through(null, Produced...).groupBy().aggregate()
>> -> just allow for `null` topic name indicating that Streams should
>> create an internal topic
>>
>> 2) stream.through(Produced...).groupBy().aggregate()
>> -> add one overload taking an mandatory `Produced`
>>
>> We use `Serialized` to picky back the information
>>
>> 3) stream.groupBy(Serialized...).aggregate()
>> and stream.groupByKey(Serialized...).aggregate()
>> -> we don't need new top level overloads
>>

>> There are different trade-offs for those alternatives and maybe there
>> are other ways to change the API. It's just to push the discussion further.
>>

>> -Matthias
>>
>> On 11/12/17 1:22 PM, Jan Filipiak wrote:
>>> Hi Gouzhang,
>>>
>>> this felt like these questions are supposed to be answered by me.
>>> I do not understand the first one. I don't understand why the user
>>> shouldn't be able to specify a suffix for the topic name.
>>>
>>>  For the third question I am not 100% familiar if the Produced class
>>> came to existence
>>> at all. I remember proposing it somewhere in our redo DSL discussion that
>>> I dropped out of later. Finally any call that does:

> [...]
>>> 2. register sink