> I believe a lot of users are using the kafka high level consumers, it is
> effectively an **unordered** messaging/streaming pattern. People using high
> level consumers don't actually need any ordering guarantees. In this sense,
> a *shared* subscription in Apache Pulsar seems to be better than current
> Kafka's consumer group model, as it allows the consumption rate not limited
> by the number of partitions, can actually grow beyond the number of
> partitions. We do see a lot of operational pain points on production coming
> from consumer lags, which I think it is very commonly seen during partition
> rebalancing in a consumer group. Selective acking seems to provide a finer
> granularity on acknowledgment, which can be actually good for avoiding
> consumer lags and avoid reprocessing messages during partition rebalance.

Yeah, I'm not sure about this. I'd be interested to understand the design
of this feature a little better. In practice, when ordering is unimportant,
adding partitions seems not too big of a deal. Also, I'm aware of active
efforts to make rebalancing less of a pain point for our users ;)

The last question, from users perspective, since both kafka and pulsar are
> distributed pub/sub messaging systems and both of them at the ASF, is there
> any possibility for these two projects to collaborate, e.g. kafka adopts
> pulsar's messaging model, pulsar can use kafka streams and kafka connect. I
> believe a lot of people in the mailing list might have same or similar
> question. From end-user perspective, if such collaboration can happen, that
> is going to great for users and also the ASF. I would like to hear any
> thoughts from kafka committers and pmc members.

I see this a little differently. Although there is some overlap between the
projects, they have quite different underlying philosophies (as Marina
alluded to) and I hope this will take them on different trajectories over
time. That would ultimately benefit users more than having two competing
projects solving all the same use cases. We don't need to try to cram
Pulsar features into Kafka if it's not a good fit and vice versa. At the
same time, where capabilities do overlap, we can try to learn from their
experience and they can learn from ours. The example of message retention
seemed like one of these instances since there are legitimate use cases and
Pulsar's approach has some benefits.

-Jason