I did, but it doesn't seem to gain much. In order to still avoid having
these intermediate states, you'd still need a latch and then to block any
calls to the root resource until you could connect. It would allow starting
up the rest of the worker, but if it's just going to fail and put the
worker into a bad state anyway, that doesn't seem to help much.

The alternative of just returning incomplete info didn't seem worth the
hassle for users since if you can't connect to the cluster to get the
cluster ID, none of the other APIs would be useful either (you're not going
to be able to write new connector configs, asking for connector state will
give you empty data since you wouldn't be able to load the configs or
status topics, etc).

-Ewen