Thanks for the clarification Jason. Your suggestions make sense.
I'll leave individual offset deletion and exposing the functionality in
AdminClient out of this KIP.

--Vahid

From:   Jason Gustafson <ja...@confluent.io>
To:     dev@kafka.apache.org
Date:   12/12/2017 01:46 PM
Subject:        Re: [DISCUSS] KIP-229: DeleteGroups API

> That makes sense. I'll add that functionality in the KIP.

This was in response to my suggestion about deleting offsets. After
thinking about it some more, it might be better to leave it as potential
future work. I wouldn't want to complicate the DeleteGroups API
unnecessarily, and the ability to reset the offset for a topic partition
is
probably good enough for most situations. What do you think?

> I exposed this functionality through AdminClient based on Ding's
> suggestion earlier that users would benefit from it programmatically. If
> we want to be consistent wrt. admin functions in AdminClient, I'll
remove
> it from the KIP.

To clarify, there are two AdminClients: the scala one is internal and will
probably be removed eventually. The newer AdminClient is available in
kafka-clients and is a public interface. I think this is the one Dong was
referring to. I thought it might be a little premature since we don't have
any other group APIs supported. That said, there is a separate proposal to
expose list/describe functionality, so if that gets in, we could add
support for deletion as well.

-Jason