Hi Jun,

10. Another concern of mine is on consistency with the current pattern. The
> current pattern for change notification based on ZK is (1) we first write
> the actual value in the entity path and then write the change notification
> path, and (2)  the change notification path only includes what entity has
> changed but not the actual changes. If we want to follow this pattern for
> consistency, /admin/reassignment_requests/request_xxx will only have the
> partitions whose reassignment have changed, but not the actual
> reassignment.

Ah, I hadn't understood part (2). That means my concern about efficiency
with the current pattern is misplaced. There are still some interesting
differences in semantics, however:

a) The mechanism currently proposed in KIP-236 means that the controller is
the only writer to /admin/reassignments. This means it can include
information in these znodes that requesters might not know, or information
that's necessary to perform the reassignment but not necessary to describe
the request. While this could be handled using the current pattern it would
rely on all  writers to preserve any information added by the controller,
which seems complicated and hence fragile.

b) The current pattern for change notification doesn't cope with competing
writers to the entity path: If two processes write to the entity path
before the controller can read it (due to notification) then one set of
updates will be lost.

c) If a single writing process crashes after writing to the entity path,
but before writing to the notification path then the write will be lost.

I'm actually using point a) in my WIP (see below). Points b) and c) are
obviously edge cases.

> 11. Ok. I am not sure that I fully understand the description of that part.
> Does "assigned" refer to the current assignment? Could you also describe
> where the length of the original assignment is stored in ZK?

Sorry if the description is not clear. Yes, "assigned" referrs to the
currently assigned replicas (taken from the
ControllerContext.partitionReplicaAssignment). I would store the length of
the original assignment in the /admin/reassignments/$topic/$partition znode
(this is where the point (a) above is useful -- the requester shouldn't
know that this information is used by the controller).

I've updated the KIP to make these points clearer.

> 13. Hmm, I am not sure that the cancellation needs to be done for the whole
> batch. The reason that I brought this up is for consistency. The KIP allows
> override when using the new approach. It just seems that it's simpler to
> extend this model when resolving multiple changes between the old and the
> new approach.

Ah, I think I've been unclear on this point too. Currently the
ReassignPartitionsCommand enforces that you can't change reassignments, but
this doesn't stop other ZK clients making changes to
/admin/reassign_partitions directly and I believe some Kafka users do
indeed change reassignments in-flight by writing to
/admin/reassign_partitions. What I'm proposing doesn't break that at all.
The semantic I've implemented is only that the controller only refuses a
reassignment change if there is already one in-flight (i.e. in
/admin/reassignments/$topic/$partition) **via the other mechansim**. So if
you're using /admin/reassign_partitions and you change or cancel part of it
via /admin/reassign_partitions, that's OK. Likewise if you're using
/admin/reassignment_request/request_xxx and you change or cancel part of it
via another /admin/reassignment_request/request_xxx, that's OK.What you
can't do is change a request that was started via
/admin/reassign_partitions via /admin/reassignment_request/request_xxx, or
vice versa.

What I was thinking of when I replied is the case where, on controller
failover, /admin/reassign_partitions has been changed and
/admin/reassignment_request/request_xxx created (in the period when the new
controller was being elected, for example) with a common partition. In this
case we should apply a consistent rule to that used when the notification
happen in real time. Your suggestion to use the modification time of the
znode would work here too (except in the edge case where ZK writes to both
znodes happen within the same clock tick on the ZK server, so the mtimes
are the same).

Let me know if you think this is the right semantic and I'll try to clarify
the KIP.

Many thanks,

Tom