+1 (binding), though I still think the Map should be <String, ?> instead of
<?, ?>.

I also think its better to just expose the defaults as constants on the
class. Apparently there was discussion of this before and the concern is
that people write code that rely on the default configs and we might break
their code if we change it. I don't really buy this as using the constant
allows you to to symbolically reference the value rather than making your
own copy of it. Usually if we change a default like that there is an
important reason why and having the old copied value might be worse than
having the value change out from under you. Having the defaults explicitly
exposed can also be helpful when writing tests sometimes.

-Ewen