Sonke,

I'm fine filtering some control characters. The trimming also seems like it
might be *somewhat* moot because the way connector names work in standalone
mode is limited by ConfigDef, which already does trimming of settings. Not
a great reason to be restrictive, but we'd partly just be codifying what's
there.

I just generally have a distaste for being restrictive without a clear
reason. In this case I don't think it has any significant impact.

KIP freeze is nearing and this seems like a simple improvement and a PR is
already available (modulo any changes re: control characters). I'll start
reviewing the PR, do you want to make any last updates about control
characters in the KIP and kick off a VOTE thread?

-Ewen