@Guozhang I probably have suggested all options at some point or another,
including most recently, the current KIP! I was thinking that practically
speaking, the request timeout defines how long the user is willing to wait
for a response. The consumer doesn't really have a complex send process
like the producer for any of these APIs, so I wasn't sure how much benefit
there would be from having more granular control over timeouts (in the end,
KIP-91 just adds a single timeout to control the whole send). That said, it
might indeed be better to avoid overloading the config as you suggest since
at least it avoids inconsistency with the producer's usage.

The most flexible option is to add overloads to the consumer so that users
can pass the timeout directly. I'm not sure if that is more or less
annoying than a new config, but I've found config timeouts a little
constraining in practice. For example, I could imagine users wanting to
wait longer for an offset commit operation than a position lookup; if the
latter isn't timely, users can just pause the partition and continue
fetching on others. If you cannot commit offsets, however, it might be
safer for an application to wait availability of the coordinator than
continuing.

-Jason