Hi Ron,

Thanks for the analysis, this is very useful. Reducing the feature to the
minimum required for the scenarios helps (though I was hoping that the
redact flag would one day help with improving SASL diagnostics, that can be
for another day).

In the past when users requested different password storing mechanisms like
in KIP-76, the main reason was to avoid storing clear passwords in a file.
Now that we can store encrypted passwords in ZK, that is less of a
motivation for SSL keystore passwords (at least on the broker-side). But
integrating with external password vaults is perhaps still useful for SASL.
But an important point is that none of the built-in substitution mechanisms
helps with this security requirement.

Colin had suggested that it would be better to do this type of substitution
outside of Kafka, e.g. using scripts. So if we can store encrypted
passwords in ZooKeeper, users can write scripts to extract passwords from
their favourite password vault and store them encrypted in ZK, do we still
need substitution?

I think there are two use cases for SASL:

   1. Client configuration (Producer/Consumer/AdminClient)
   2. Dynamic password updates with caching (as you mentioned) for both
   clients and brokers

Looking at only SASL, we can do 1) with SASL callback handlers (KIP-86) for
both clients and brokers. Callback handlers can do 2) as well. On the
broker-side, as you mentioned, dynamic configs in ZK would be better for 2)
(we don't currently support changing SASL configs for existing listeners,
but eventually we probably would).

So if we assume that SSL passwords can be handled by encrypted passwords in
ZK, SASL/PLAIN and SCRAM can be handled by callback handlers, can we narrow
down the OAuth scenarios that really benefit from substitution? Do we need
specific built-in substitution mechanisms for these scenarios given that
any built-in substitution mechanism would be inherently insecure? Do we
have to support custom substitution mechanisms for these? Perhaps an
example would help since most of us are not that familiar with the
different OAuth options and you have already thought this through in the
context of OAuth?

Once we identify what we need for OAuth, we could go back and look at
whether this would also help other SASL mechanisms, SSL passwords, other
configs etc.

Thank you,

Rajini