I assume the intent of the KIP to find out the Kafka broker version.  In
this case, maybe we should expose
version using a Kafka request. This will help the remote scripts/tools to
query the Kafka version.
scripts (kafka-topics.sh, kafka-configs.sh, etc..)  may run from remote
machines  and may use
older Kafka versions. In this case, current proposal prints on the older
version.