Hi Jason and Dong,

I’ve been thinking about your suggestions and discussion regarding
position(), seek(), and new proposed API.

Here is my thought process why we should keep position() and seek() API
unchanged.

I think we should separate {offset, leader epoch} that uniquely identifies
a message from an offset that is a position. In some cases, offsets
returned from position() could be actual consumed messages by this consumer
identified by {offset, leader epoch}. In other cases, position() returns
offset that was not actually consumed. Suppose, the user calls position()
for the last offset. Suppose we return {offset, leader epoch} of the
message currently in the log. Then, the message gets truncated before
consumer’s first poll(). It does not make sense for poll() to fail in this
case, because the log truncation did not actually happen from the consumer
perspective. On the other hand, as the KIP proposes, it makes sense for the
committed() method to return {offset, leader epoch} because those offsets
represent actual consumed messages.

The same argument applies to the seek() method — we are not seeking to a
message, we are seeking to a position.

I like the proposal to add KafkaConsumer#findOffsets() API. I am assuming
something like:

Map<TopicPartition, Long> findOffsets(Map<TopicPartition, OffsetAndEpoch>
offsetsToSearch)

Similar to seek() and position(), I think findOffsets() should return
offset without leader epoch, because what we want is the offset that we
think is closest to the not divergent message from the given consumed
message. Until the consumer actually fetches the message, we should not let
the consumer store the leader epoch for a message it did not consume.

So, the workflow will be:

1) The user gets LogTruncationException with {offset, leader epoch of the

2) offset = findOffsets(tp -> {offset, leader epoch})

3) seek(offset)

For the use-case where the users store committed offsets externally:

1) Such users would have to track the leader epoch together with an offset.
Otherwise, there is no way to detect later what leader epoch was associated
with the message. I think it’s reasonable to ask that from users if they
want to detect log truncation. Otherwise, they will get the current
behavior.

If the users currently get an offset to be stored using position(), I see
two possibilities. First, they call save offset returned from position()
that they call before poll(). In that case, it would not be correct to
store {offset, leader epoch} if we would have changed position() to return
{offset, leader epoch} since actual fetched message could be different
(from the example I described earlier). So, it would be more correct to
call position() after poll(). However, the user already gets
ConsumerRecords at this point, from which the user can extract {offset,
leader epoch} of the last message.

So, I like the idea of adding a helper method to ConsumerRecords, as Jason
proposed, something like:

public OffsetAndEpoch lastOffsetWithLeaderEpoch(), where OffsetAndEpoch is
a data struct holding {offset, leader epoch}.

In this case, we would advise the user to follow the workflow: poll(), get
{offset, leader epoch} from ConsumerRecords#lastOffsetWithLeaderEpoch(),
save offset and leader epoch, process records.

2) When the user needs to seek to the last committed offset, they call new
findOffsets(saved offset, leader epoch), and then seek(offset).

What do you think?

Thanks,

Anna