On Wed, Aug 1, 2018, at 11:35, James Cheng wrote:
> I’m a little confused about something. Is this KIP focused on log
> cleaner exceptions in general, or focused on log cleaner exceptions due
> to disk failures?
>
> Will max.uncleanable.partitions apply to all exceptions (including log
> cleaner logic errors) or will it apply to only disk I/o exceptions?

There is no difference between "log cleaner exceptions in general" and "log
cleaner exceptions due to disk failures."

For example, if the data on disk is corrupted we might read a 4-byte size as -1
instead of 100.  Then we would get a BufferUnderFlowException later on.  This
is a subclass of RuntimeException rather than IOException, of course, but it
does result from a disk problem.  Or we might get exceptions while validating
checksums, which may or may not be IOE (I haven't looked).

Of course, the log cleaner itself may have a bug, which results in it throwing
an exception even if the disk does not have a problem.  We clearly want to fix
these bugs.  But there's no way for the program itself to know that it has a
bug and act differently.  If an exception occurs, we must assume there is a
disk problem.

> I can understand taking the disk offline if there have been “N” I/O
> exceptions. Disk errors are user fixable (by replacing the affected
> disk). It turns an invisible (soft?) failure into a visible hard
> failure. And the I/O exceptions are possibly already causing problems,
> so it makes sense to limit their impact.
>
> But I’m not sure if it makes sense to take a disk offline after”N” logic
> errors in the log cleaner. If a log cleaner logic error happens, it’s
> rarely user fixable. And it will likely several partitions at once, so
> you’re likely to bump up against the max.uncleanable.partitions limit
> more quickly. If a disk was taken due to logic errors, I’m not sure what
> the user would do.

I don't agree that log cleaner bugs "will likely [affect] several partitions at
once."  Most of the ones I've looked at only affect one or two partitions.  In
particular the ones that resulted from over-eagerness to use 32-bit math on
64-bit values.

If the log cleaner is so buggy that it's useless (the scenario you're
describing), and you want to put off an upgrade, then you can set
max.uncleanable.partitions to the maximum value to ignore failures.

best,
Colin