Eno,

For us as well the requirement is around compacted topics because they are
the topics that already facilitate selective deletes. Currently they allow
specifying a minimum life time, but lacks the ability to specify a maximum
life time.

For non compacted topics there's no ability to delete individual messages,
they're immutable logs. We treat those with hard rules: Max retention time
on the topic; accept the topic may get truncated; or to not store
information that may be subject to GDPR. (and i've read others use tricks
with encryption and forgetting the decryption key).

Enhancing compaction to support a max compaction time makes the compacted
topics more useful, especially in that it allows the dirty ratio to be used
for its intended purpose while allowing automatic cleaning based on a new
time config.

--

Brett Rann

Senior DevOps Engineer

Zendesk International Ltd

395 Collins Street, Melbourne VIC 3000 Australia

Mobile: +61 (0) 418 826 017