Regarding "broker-agnostic of headers": there are some KIPs from Streams to
use headers for internal purposes as well, e.g. KIP-258 and KIP-213 (I
admit there may be a conflict with user space, but practically I think it
is very rare). So I think we are very likely going to make Kafka internals
to be "headers-aware" anyways.

Regarding the general API: I think it is a good idea in general, but it may
still have limits: note that right now our KIP enforce a header type to be
long, and we have a very careful discussion about the fall-back policy if
header does not have the specified key or if the value is not long-typed;
but if we enforce long type version in the interface, it would require
users trying to customizing their compaction logic (think: based on some
value payload field) to transform their fields to long as well. So I feel
we can still go with the current proposed approach, and only consider this
general API if we observe it does have a general usage requirement. By that
time we can still extend the config values of "log.cleaner.compaction.
strategy" to "offset, timestamp, header, myFuncName".

@Bertus

Thanks for your feedback, I believe the proposed config is indeed for both
global (for the whole broker) and per-topic, Luís can confirm if this is
the case, and update the wiki page to make it clear.

Guozhang

--
-- Guozhang