Hi, Ryanne. My apologies for not responding earlier, as I was on a long
holiday.

Thanks for your feedback and questions about this KIP. You've raised
several points in the discussion so far, so let me try to address most of
them.

IIUC, one of your major concerns is that this KIP introduces a new way to
define configurations for topics. That is true, and the whole reason is to
simply the user experience for people using source connectors. You still
have the freedom to manually pre-create topics before running a connector,
or to rely upon the broker automatically creating topics for the connectors
when those topics don't yet exist -- in both cases, don't include anything
about topic creation in your connector configurations. In fact, when you do
this, Connect uses the current behavior by assuming the topics exist or
will be autocreated with the proper configurations.

But for many environments, this existing approach is not enough. First, if
you're relying upon the broker to autocreate topics, then the brokers
single set of default topic settings must match the requirements of your
new topics. This can be difficult when your running multiple kinds of
connectors with differing expectations. Consider using a CDC connector that
expects compaction, a high-volume web service connector that should not use
compaction but expects deletion after 7 days, and another connector with
lower volume that uses 30 day retention. Or, consider connectors that are
producing to topics that have very different message characteristics:
different sizes, different throughputs, different partitions, etc. The only
way to work around this is to pre-create the topics, but this adds more
complexity and room for errors, especially when a single instance of some
source connectors can write to dozens (or even hundreds) of topics.

Second, many operators prefer (or are required) to disable topic
autocreation, since simple mistakes with command line tools can result in
new topics. In this cases, users have no choice but to manually precreate
the topics that complicates the process of running a connector and, as
mentioned above, increases the risk that something goes wrong.

Third, the reason why this KIP introduces a way for connector
implementations to override some topic settings is because some source
connectors have very specific requirements. When I wrote the first Debezium
CDC connectors, many first-time users didn't precreate the topics as
recommended in the documentation, and didn't change their brokers' default
topic settings. Only after a few days when they tried reconsuming the full
streams did they realize that Kafka had deleted messages older than the
default retention period. Debezium expects / requires compacted topics, so
all kinds of things went wrong. Connect is often one of the first ways in
which people get introduced to Kafka, and they simply don't yet have an
understanding of many of the details that you or I don't have to think
twice about.

You suggested that maybe Connect should just expose the Admin API. That's
possible, but IMO it's very heavyweight and complex. The whole point of
Connect's design is to abstract the connector developer away from most of
the details of Kafka -- it doesn't even expose the producer and consumer
APIs, which are much simpler. IMO it would be a mistake to require source
connector developers to deal with the Admin API -- I even have trouble
writing code that uses it to properly create topics, especially around
properly handling all of the potential error conditions.

You also mention that topic settings in a connector configuration might not
reflect the actual topic's settings. This is true, especially if the topic
already existed with different settings before the connector was run.
However, this is also very true of the broker's default topic settings,
which very often don't reflect the actual settings for all of the topics --
the defaults may have been changed, or topics are created manually with
very different settings. The only way to know the settings of a particular
topic are to get them for that topic.

The use of naming rules in the topic creation settings is intentional, and
it allows connector users to define topic settings for topics based upon
the names. In some cases this may require several rules to handle the
different topics, but most of the time a single rule may be all that's
required. I also don't agree that users will start naming topics to
simplify their rules -- many source connectors that write to more than one
topic often don't allow the user to specify the full name of the topics
anyway, and when they do they often only write to one topic.

I still think that the proposed KIP provides a simple way for most source
connector users to control (via configuration) the settings of the topics
that will be created by Connect for that connector, which works with all
existing source connectors out of the box and does not add additional
complexities for source connector developers.

Best regards,

Randall