Hi, Ron,

Thanks for the KIP. Looks good to me overall. So, +1 assuming the following
minor comments will be addressed.

100. connections.max.reauth.ms: A client can authenticate with the broker
using SSL. This config has no impact on such connections. It would be
useful to make it clear in the documentation. Also, in this case, I guess
the broker won't kill the SSL connection after connections.max.reauth.ms?

101. "If re-authentication succeeds then any requests that queued up during
re-authentication will subsequently be able to flow through, and eventually
the connection will re-authenticate again, etc.". This is more of an
implementation detail. I guess the proposal is to queue up new requests in
the client when there is is pending re-authentication. An alternative is to
mark the Channel unavailable for send during re-authentication. This has
the slight benefit of reducing the client memory footprint.

102. "A client-side metric will be created that documents the latency
imposed by re-authentication." What's the name of this metric? Does it
measure avg or max?

103. "Upgrade all brokers to v2.1.0 or later at whatever rate is desired
with 'connections.max.reauth.ms' allowed to default to 0.  If SASL is used
for the inter-broker protocol then brokers will check the SASL_AUTHENTICATE
API version and use a V1 request when communicating to a broker that has
been upgraded to 2.1.0, but the client will see the "0" session max
lifetime and will not re-authenticate. ". Currently, for the inter broker
usage of NetworkClient (ReplicaFetcherThread, ControllerChannelManager,
etc), the broker version discovery logic is actually disabled and the
client is expected to use the new version of the request after
inter.broker.protocol.version is set to the current version. So, we will
need to rely on this for deciding whether the NetworkClient should use the
re-authenticate request or not, during upgrade.

Jun