I am new to this mailing list. I am not sure what I should do next. Should I
create a KIP to discuss this?

-----Original Message-----
From: Pellerin, Clement
Sent: Wednesday, October 10, 2018 4:38 PM
To: dev@kafka.apache.org
Subject: KAFKA-6654 custom SSLContext

KAFKA-6654 correctly states that there will never be enough configuration
parameters to fully configure the SSLContext/SSLSocketFactory created by Kafka.
For example, in our case, we need an alias to choose the key in the keystore,
and we need an implementation of OCSP.
KAFKA-6654 suggests to make the creation of the SSLContext a pluggable
implementation.
Maybe by declaring an interface and passing the name of an implementation class
in a new parameter.

Many libraries solve this problem by accepting the SSLContextFactory instance
from the application.
How about passing the instance as the value of a runtime configuration
parameter?
If that parameter is set, all other ssl.* parameters would be ignored.
Obviously, this parameter could only be set programmatically.

I would like to hear the proposed solution by the Kafka maintainers.

I can help implementing a patch if there is an agreement on the desired
solution.