Hi Ryanne,

This KIP is fantastic. It provides a great vision for how MirrorMaker should
evolve in the Kafka project.

I have a question on cycle detection - In a scenario where I have 3 clusters
replicating between each other, it seems it may be easy to misconfigure the
connectors if auto topic creation is turned on so that records become
replicated to increasingly longer topic names (until the topic name limit is
reached). Consider clusters us-west, us-central, us-east:

us-west: topic
us-central: us-west.topic
us-east: us-central.us-west.topic
us-west: us-east.us-central.us-west.topic
us-central: us-west.us-east.us-central.us-west.topic

I’m not sure whether this scenario would actually justify implementing
additional measures to avoid such a configuration, rather than ensuring that
the documentation is clear on how to avoid such scenarios - would be good to
hear what others think on this.

Excited to see the discussion on this one.

Rhys