Hey John,

I think NaN would be the better option semantically. If we were to use
that, maybe it makes sense to change `Avg()`'s default value from 0.0 to
NaN as well.

I am a bit more concerned with backwards compatibility if we were to use
NaN since we would change three types of metrics. There were only three
metrics that use `Min` but `Avg` and `Max` are used everywhere.
I guess it boils down to how likely it is that such a change can break
users' tools and if we're okay with it. My assumption is that it won't -
most tools should be mature enough to handle these values.

Thanks for the suggestion! I will wait out a bit more for other people to
share their thoughts and update the KIP with `NaN`

--
Best,
Stanislav