On Thu, Oct 25, 2018, at 18:16, n...@afshartous.com wrote:

> The reporter of KAFKA-6690 (Bala) replied in the JIra ticket to my
> question to elaborate about his use-case.  I don’t think he’s on the dev
> list.  Here’s his response:
>
>   Bala:  Sorry about the delay in reply. We use Kafka to process the
> asynchronous events of our Document Management System such as preview
> generation, indexing for search etc. The traffic gets generated via Web
> and Desktop Sync application. In such cases, we had to prioritize the
> traffic from web and consume them first. But this might lead to the
> starvation of events from sync if the consumer speed is slow and the
> event rate is high from web. A solution to handle the starvation with a
> timeout after which the events are consumed normally for a specified
> period of time would be great and help us use our resources effectively.

Priorities won't help for this use-case, right?  If the "web" partition has a
higher priority, and data is always available, there will *never* be any events
reported for "sync".  Priorities don't prevent starvation-- they cause
starvation by design, because the high priority partition always takes priority.

In general the best solution would probably be to have a work queue between the
consumer and the event handler, and manage the backpressure as appropriate.
This could be done with pause and resume, as Streams does.

best,
Colin