Hi there,

Thanks for the KIP.

We’ve run into issues with this at Mailchimp so something to address
consuming behavior would save us from having to always ensure we’re running
enough consumers that each consumer has only one partition (which is our
usual MO).

I wonder though if it would be simpler and more powerful to define the
maximum number of records the consumer should pull from one partition
before pulling some records from another?

So if you set max.poll.records to 500 and then some new setting,
max.poll.records.per.partition, to 100 then the Consumer would switch what
partition it reads from every 100 records - looping back around to the
first partition that had records if there aren’t 5 or more partitions with
records.

What do you think?