So this is indeed what using headers with hops avoids is creating lots and lots
of topics __, so you can have more complex topology setups.

I ask why not support having two ways of setting up and closing the door?

One based on hops using headers, and another based on topic naming. After all
flexibility is what we want its for end users how to use right?

On 12/7/18, 8:19 PM, "Ryanne Dolan" <ryannedo...@gmail.com> wrote:

    Michael, thanks for the comments!

    >  would like to see support for this to be done by hops, as well [...]
    This then allows ring (hops = number of brokers in the ring), mesh (every
    cluster interconnected so hop=1), or even a tree (more fine grained setup)
    cluster topology.

    That's a good idea, though we can do this at the topic level without
    tagging individual records. A max.hop of 1 would mean "A.topic1" is
    allowed, but not "B.A.topic1". I think the default behavior would need to
    be max.hops = 1 to avoid unexpectedly creating a bunch of D.C.B.A... topics
    when you create a fully-connected mesh topology.

    Looking ahead a bit, I can imagine an external tool computing the spanning
    tree of topics among a set of clusters based on inter-cluster replication
    lag, and setting up MM2 accordingly. But that's probably outside the scope
    of this KIP :)

    >  ...standalone MirrorMaker connector...
    >     ./bin/kafka-mirror-maker-2.sh --consumer consumer.properties
    --producer producer.properties

    Eventually, I'd like MM2 to completely replace legacy MM, including the
    ./bin/kafka-mirror-maker.sh script. In the meantime, it's a good idea to
    include a standalone driver. Something like
    ./bin/connect-mirror-maker-standalone.sh with the same high-level
    configuration file. I'll do that, thanks.

    > I see no section on providing support for mirror maker Handlers, today
    people can add handlers to have a little extra custom logic if needed, and
    the handler api is public today so should be supported going forwards so
    people are not on mass re-writing these.

    Great point. Connect offers single-message transformations and converters
    for this purpose, but I agree that we should honor the existing API if
    possible. This might be as easy as providing an adapter class between
    connect's Transformation and mirror-maker's Handler. Maybe file a Jira
    ticket to track this?

    Really appreciate your feedback!

    Ryanne

    On Thu, Dec 6, 2018 at 7:03 PM Michael Pearce <michael.pea...@ig.com> wrote:

> [...]
    >         > > > >   return new ConnectorsResource(clusters.get(cluster));
    >         > > > > }
    >         > > > >
    >         > > > > (simplified a bit and subject to change)
    >         > > > >
    >         > > > > The ClustersResource defers to the existing
    > ConnectorsResource, which
    >         > > > again
    >         > > > > is most of the Connect API. With this in place, I can make
    > requests
    >         > > like:
    >         > > > >
    >         > > > > GET /clusters
    >         > > > >
    >         > > > > GET /clusters/us-west/connectors
    >         > > > >
    >         > > > > PUT /clusters/us-west/connectors/us-east/config
    >         > > > > { "topics" : "topic1" }
    >         > > > >
    >         > > > > etc.
    >         > > > >
    >         > > > > So on the whole, very little code is involved in
    > implementing
    >         > > > "MirrorMaker
    >         > > > > clusters". I won't rule out adding additional features on
    > top of this
    >         > > > basic
    >         > > > > API, but nothing should require re-implementing what is
    > already in
    >         > > > Connect.
    >         > > > >
    >         > > > > > Wouldn't it be a viable alternative to look into
    > extending Connect
    >         > > > itself
    >         > > > >
    >         > > > > Maybe Connect will evolve to the point where Connect
    > clusters and
    >         > > > > MirrorMaker clusters are indistinguishable, but I think
    > this is
    >         > > unlikely,
    >         > > > > since really no use-case outside replication would benefit
    > from the
    >         > > added
    >         > > > > complexity. Moreover, I think support for multiple Kafka
    > clusters
    >         > would
    >         > > > be
    >         > > > > hard to add without significant changes to the existing
    > APIs and
    >         > > configs,
    >         > > > > which all assume a single Kafka cluster. I think
    > Connect-as-a-Service
    >         > > and
    >         > > > > Replication-as-a-Service are sufficiently different
    > use-cases that we
    >         > > > > should expect the APIs and configuration files to be at
    > least
    >         > slightly
    >         > > > > different, even if both use the same framework underneath.
    > That
    >         > said, I
    >         > > > do
    >         > > > > plan to contribute a few improvements to the Connect
    > framework in
    >         > > support
    >         > > > > of MM2 -- just nothing within the scope of the current
KIP.

https://www.slideshare.net/ConfluentInc/more-data-more-problems-scaling-kafkamirroring-pipelines-at-linkedin

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/KAFKA/KIP-382:+MirrorMaker+2.0#KIP-382:MirrorMaker2.0-MirrorMakerClusters
> [...]
    > enables
    >         > flows
    >         > > > > like
    >         > > > > > A
    >         > > > > > >>> ->
    >         > > > > > >>> K - > X but means that some topologies require
    > extraneous hops,
    >         > > and
    >         > > > > > means
    >         > > > > > >>> that K must be scaled to handle records from all
    > sources and
    >         > > sinks.
    >         > > > > > >>>
    >         > > > > > >>> 2) use multiple Connect clusters, one for each
    > target cluster.
    >         > > Each
    >         > > > > > >>> cluster
    >         > > > > > >>> has multiple SourceConnectors, one for each source
    > cluster.
    >         > This
    >         > > > > > enables
    >         > > > > > >>> direct replication of A -> X but means there is a
    > proliferation
    >         > > of
    >         > > > > > >>> Connect
    >         > > > > > >>> clusters, each of which must be managed separately.
    >         > > > > > >>>
    >         > > > > > >>> Both options are viable for small deployments
    > involving a small
    >         > > > > number
    >         > > > > > of
    >         > > > > > >>> Kafka clusters in a small number of data centers.
    > However,
    >         > > neither
    >         > > > is
    >         > > > > > >>> scalable, especially from an operational standpoint.
    >         > > > > > >>>
    >         > > > > > >>> KIP-382 now introduces "MirrorMaker clusters", which
    > are
    >         > distinct
    >         > > > > from
    >         > > > > > >>> Connect clusters. A single MirrorMaker cluster
    > provides
    >         > > > > > >>> "Replication-as-a-Service" among any number of Kafka
    > clusters
    >         > > via a
    >         > > > > > >>> high-level REST API based on the Connect API. Under
    > the hood,
    >         > > > > > MirrorMaker
    >         > > > > > >>> sets up Connectors between each pair of Kafka
    > clusters. The
    >         > REST
    >         > > > API
    >         > > > > > >>> enables on-the-fly reconfiguration of each
    > Connector, including
    >         > > > > updates
    >         > > > > > >>> topic whitelists/blacklists.
    >         > > > > > >>>
    >         > > > > > >>> To configure MirrorMaker 2.0, you need a
    > configuration file
    >         > that
    >         > > > > lists
    >         > > > > > >>> connection information for each Kafka cluster
    > (broker lists,
    >         > SSL
    >         > > > > > settings
    >         > > > > > >>> etc). At a minimum, this looks like:
cluster.us-west.broker.list=us-west-kafka-server:9092
    >         > > > > > >>>
cluster.us-east.broker.list=us-east-kafka-server:9092
<mailto:jan.filip...@trivago.com>>

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/KAFKA/KIP-382%3A+MirrorMaker+2.0
> [...]
    >         > > > Germany
    >         > > > > > >>
    >         > > > > > >
    >         > > > > >
    >         > > > > > --
    >         > > > > > Sönke Liebau
    >         > > > > > Partner
    >         > > > > > Tel. +49 179 7940878
    >         > > > > > OpenCore GmbH & Co. KG - Thomas-Mann-Straße 8 - 22880
    > Wedel -
    >         > Germany
    >         > > > > >
    >         > > > >
    >         > > >
    >         > > >
    >         > > > --
    >         > > > Sönke Liebau
    >         > > > Partner
    >         > > > Tel. +49 179 7940878
    >         > > > OpenCore GmbH & Co. KG - Thomas-Mann-Straße 8 - 22880 Wedel
    > - Germany
    >         > > >
    >         > >
    >         >
    >         >
    >         > --
    >         > Sönke Liebau
    >         > Partner
    >         > Tel. +49 179 7940878
    >         > OpenCore GmbH & Co. KG - Thomas-Mann-Straße 8 - 22880 Wedel -
    > Germany
    >         >

    > The information contained in this email is strictly confidential and for
    > the use of the addressee only, unless otherwise indicated. If you are not
    > the intended recipient, please do not read, copy, use or disclose to
others
    > this message or any attachment. Please also notify the sender by replying
    > to this email or by telephone (+44(020 7896 0011) and then delete the
email
    > and any copies of it. Opinions, conclusion (etc) that do not relate to the
    > official business of this company shall be understood as neither given nor
    > endorsed by it. IG is a trading name of IG Markets Limited (a company
    > registered in England and Wales, company number 04008957) and IG Index
    > Limited (a company registered in England and Wales, company number
    > 01190902). Registered address at Cannon Bridge House, 25 Dowgate Hill,
    > London EC4R 2YA. Both IG Markets Limited (register number 195355) and IG
    > Index Limited (register number 114059) are authorised and regulated by the
    > Financial Conduct Authority.

The information contained in this email is strictly confidential and for the
use of the addressee only, unless otherwise indicated. If you are not the
intended recipient, please do not read, copy, use or disclose to others this
message or any attachment. Please also notify the sender by replying to this
email or by telephone (+44(020 7896 0011) and then delete the email and any
copies of it. Opinions, conclusion (etc) that do not relate to the official
business of this company shall be understood as neither given nor endorsed by
it. IG is a trading name of IG Markets Limited (a company registered in England
and Wales, company number 04008957) and IG Index Limited (a company registered
in England and Wales, company number 01190902). Registered address at Cannon