Hi Harsha,

As far as I understand KIP-236 it's about enabling reassignment
cancellation and as a future plan providing a queue of replica reassignment
steps to allow manual reassignment chains. While I agree that the
reassignment chain has a specific use case that allows fine grain control
over reassignment process, My proposal on the other hand doesn't talk about
cancellation but it only provides an automatic way to incrementalize an
arbitrary reassignment which I think fits the general use case where users
don't want that level of control but still would like a balanced way of
reassignments. Therefore I think it's still relevant as an improvement of
the current algorithm.
Nevertheless I'm happy to add my ideas to KIP-236 as I think it would be a
great improvement to Kafka.

Cheers,
Viktor