Hi Ismael,

Those are just examples. I think the administrators should be able to block
certain client libraries for whatever reason. Some other possible reasons
include, force users to check pointing in Kafka instead of zookeeper,
forbid an old go (sarama) client library which is known to have some
serious bugs.

message.downconversion.enable does not solve our problems. We are now
planning to upgrade to message format V3, and force users to upgrade to
Kafka 1.x clients. With the proposed min.api.version setting, in case of
there is anything wrong, we can roll back the setting. If we upgrade the
file format, there is no way to rollback (Kafka doesn't support downgrading
message format).