Richard,

thanks for looking into this!

However, I have some concerns. The KIP you created (
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/KAFKA/KIP-457%3A+Add+DISCONNECTED+status+to+Kafka+Streams)
doesn't yet address open questions such as the ones mentioned by Matthias:

1) What is the difference between DEAD and the proposed DISCONNECTED?  This
should be defined in the KIP.

2) Difference between your KIP and the JIRA (
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/KAFKA-6520): In the JIRA ticket, the
DISCONNECTED state was proposed for the scenario that the KStreams
application is healthy but the Kafka broker is down. This is different to
what you wrote in the KIP: "When something happens in Kafka Streams, such
as an unexpected crash or error, KafkaStreams#state() will return
State.DISCONNECTED.", which seems to mean that DISCONNECTED should be the
state when the KStreams app is down.

I wouldn't expect a KIP vote to pass if these basic questions aren't
properly sorted out in the KIP.

Best,
Michael