Thanks for the KIP Justine. It looks pretty good. A few comments:

1. Should we favor partitions that are not under replicated? This is
something that Netflix did too.

2. If there's no measurable performance difference, I agree with Stanislav
that Optional would be better than Integer.

3. We should include the javadoc for the newly introduced method that
specifies it and its parameters. In particular, it would good to specify if
it gets called when an explicit partition id has been provided.

Ismael