Hello Brian,

I think your main question is to distinguish 1) broker is alive but there's
no new data coming into the source topics to process, and 2) broker is not
alive and hence nothing is readable, in your monitoring system. I agree
that currently process-rate / last-record-timestamp cannot successfully
distinguish the two.

I've put a bit more thoughts on
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/KAFKA-6520 and updated the
on we realized that 1) it is a bit overkill to complicate the FSM for this
transient state and 2) it is actually a general issue that should be
tackled on the lower level rather than on Streams only.

Guozhang

--
-- Guozhang