I'm not so sure.  I wonder if we should make any use of pax-url-aether/mvn
optional and resolve mvn urls where the artifact is in system ourselves (any
use reference: urls here).  This is what startup.properties does now.

So.... for any mvn url we:

1. check system and if found use that artifact with a reference: url
otherwise:
2. if available, use aether or pax-url-aether to resolve the artifact and either
2.a. use a reference: url to the local file system artifact aether provisions
2.b use the url handler to supply an input stream to the framework.

I think putting maven metadata in system would imply we are not using reference
urls at all which is a problem for me.  I don't think having 2 copies of big
jars is a good idea.

thanks
david jencks