Hi David,

the purposes of Karaf Cave are:
- provide a simple OBR server (including REST API and console)
- provide a backend plugin system to be able to use a filesystem (default), ZooKeeper, JDBC, Archiva, Nexus, etc as storage backend
- provide a extendable repository format
- provide KAR and Karaf Feature Repository (KFR) support

We discussed of that in June (during the Karaf Birthday Event), and it's quickly described in the Karaf Roadmap:

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/KARAF/Apache+Karaf+First+Birthday+Meeting+%282011-06-16%29
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/KARAF/Roadmap
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/KARAF/Karaf+Enterprise+Repository

AFAIR, we discussed of these points on the mailing list. If it's not the case, my apologies.

Regards
JB