It occurs more often that our desired dependencies require JDK 6.
We've taken great care on the 2.1.x and 2.2.x lines to ensure JDK 5
compatibility, if we drop this requirement on 2.3.x branch then it
opens more opportunities to make things easier in transition to the
Karaf 3.0 (JDK 6 minimum) code base.

Cheers,
Jamie