Hi,

I really like this idea of separate feature files.
And I think we really should at least give it a try.
I fully understand the "fears" of Ioannis, Guillaume and Freeman
cause as I tried to seperate the pax-web features from Karaf
I just stumbled over a couple of constraint I didn't see right
from the beginning.
Like Camel depends on the http feature, this feature also
provides Karaf specific commands and so forth.
I think it can be done and I'll try to work on this as soon as possible,
still I think we will find such shortcomings with other features, too.

But if we stick to the way it is right now, we do get the feedback
it's not modular enough :)

regards, Achim

2012/10/18 Christian Schneider <ch...@die-schneider.net>:
> I think the goal to have separate feature files that are independent of the
> karaf version is good.
> Like Ioannis I am also unsure if it can be done right now. At least the
> recent karaf versions would not have allowed that.
> So before really starting this we should make sure we can deliver these
> independent feature files.
>
> Christian
>

> On 10/18/2012 09:52 AM, Ioannis Canellos wrote:
>>
>> The idea seems good at first glance, but there are things that we need
>> consider.
>>
>> In many cases a feature descriptor is not portable between major Karaf
>> versions, and it also happens that it breaks between minor versions.
>>
>> Even from Karaf 2.2.x to Karaf 2.3.x I've seen third party features break.
>> So it may seem that most features could decoupled from the underlying
>> version of Karaf, but practically this is not always the case.
>>
>> An example: In the spring feature case, we also have the spring deployer.
>> Where will the source of spring deployer will be hosted and which are
>> going
>> to be the versions of fileinstall and karaf that the deployer will be
>> built
>> against?

Committer & Project Lead
OPS4J Pax for Vaadin