> I'd say 4.3

That's no good news. The discussions in January talked about having full Java 9
support in 4.2 (which isn't yet scheduled either, so it already requires
patience from the users).

I am aware that Karaf depends on many updates from downstream projects, but you
should also take into account that Karaf is a dependency for others and thus
blocks Java 9 support there.

Speaking for myself, openHAB users start asking about Java 9 support and while
all code of openHAB itself seems to be ready, we cannot allow Java 9 for our
users due to Karaf.

With Java 9 GA, Java 8 has to be considered legacy - so I'd hope that Karaf
will embrace Java 9 soon. As there is no public timeline for the 4.2 release
yet, what speaks against getting this already ready for Java 9?

Looking forward to updates on that (and I am definitely willing to help on
testing)!

Cheers,
Kai