Hi Mark,

See my comments inline:

> 1. Karaf container version:
> karaf@root()> version
> 4.1.6
> I will repeat my tests for version 4.2.8, but need to be able to add activemq
> 5.15 and camel to this container, as well as the decanter features. Have had
> problems finding just the right version for them all to install fine.

To be honest, I didn’t test Decanter with Karaf 4.1.x (it’s pretty old).
As Decanter uses SCR, it should work but I would rather use Karaf 4.2.x (as
it’s the version used in Decanter tests).

> 2. My use case is to have an activemq / camel container able to report on its
> own metrics with kibana using the kibana feature,  and forward its metrics to
> an external elastic search.
> So my questions are:
> 1) do i need to have a an elastic search collector at all? the only only data
> I need the /kibana context to display here is locally gathered jmx metrics.

No need of elasticsearch collector. Again, the collector is there to get data
from elasticsearch. In your case, it’s the opposite: you have to send data to
elasticsearch and then you plug a kibana / grafana on this elasticsearch.

> 2) can kibana feature even work without a locally embedded elastic search,
> without installing the elastic search feature? it seems it cannot: kibana
> cannot connect and does not start, complaining always of localhost:9200 not
> connecting.
That’s actually recommended to NOT USE embedded kibana and elasticsearch
instance.

> 3. More details regarding the collector and appender config: I was able to
> test these files and indeed I see that setting the collector addresses to a
> non local host is picked up (I see it in the output of config:list. But the
> logs would show that collector would always read from localhost:9200, as if
> it were cached or hardcoded somewhere. I tested with the elasticsearch
> feature running and also stopped
>
> 4. For today I would like not even to load elastic feature, not even see the
> elasticsearch.yml config, and still be able to get kibana to display my
> locally collected jmx data. Failing that, I will install only the local
> elasticsearch to get kibana to work, and install the elastic appender as well
> as the prometheus appended (always works great).

So, what you need is this:

1. Start elasticsearch instance (standalone) wherever you want, for instance on
host1

  $ bin/elasticsearch

2. Start kibana to point to host:9200

3. In Karaf, just do:

$ feature:repo-add decanter 2.5.0
$ feature:install decanter-appender-elasticsearch
// configure etc/org.apache.karaf.decanter.collector.elasticsearch.cfg to point
to host1:9200 in addresses
$ feature:install decanter-collector-log
$ feature:install decanter-collector-jmx
$ feature:install decanter-collector-jmx-activemq
$ feature:install decanter-collector-jmx-camel

After a minute or so, you will see the data coming in elasticsearch, and so in
kibana

Regards
JB