From: op...@googlegroups.com <op...@googlegroups.com> on behalf of Grzegorz
Grzybek <gr.grzy...@gmail.com>
Date: Friday, April 29, 2022 at 4:36 AM
To: OPS4J <op...@googlegroups.com>, Karaf Dev <dev@karaf.apache.org>
Subject: The state of Pax Web
Hello

I'm planning to release Pax Web 8.0.3 with 6 issues fixed, including:

  *   Keycloak integration tweaks (see
https://issues.redhat.com/browse/KEYCLOAK-19939)
  *   refined session management (session per Osgi Context with single
JSESSIONID cookie per Servlet Context)
  *   two deadlocks fixes (Aries CDI)
  *   gzip encoding configuration and Jetty RewriteHandler support
With the above fixes, I think my long term plan to refactor Pax Web ends. It
doesn't mean I quit, it simply means I don't plan anything new to add to Pax
Web if there's no request to do so.

IMO, the compliance with chapters 102 (Http Service), 128 (Web Applications)
and 140 (Whiteboard Service) of OSGi CMPN specification (R7, but should be the
same for R8) is sufficiently complete. I didn't run the TCKs, because I didn't
have much time to understand how to run it in proper way ;)

There's one obvious violation of Whiteboard specification wrt to context
handling. See 140.2 The Servlet
Context<https://docs.osgi.org/specification/osgi.cmpn/7.0.0/service.http.whiteboard.html#service.http.whiteboard.servletcontext>[1]:

For example, if two ServletContextHelper services are registered as follows

osgi.http.whiteboard.context.path = /foo
osgi.http.whiteboard.context.path = /foo/bar

Then a request for http://localhost/foo/bar/someServlet is looked up in the
following order:

  1.  /foo/bar context looking for a pattern to match /someServlet
  2.  /foo context looking for a pattern to match /bar/someServlet
According to JavaServlet specification, context selection happens first and
further resolution of servlets is performed within the found context. The above
Whiteboard requirement mandates searching for servlets in other contexts. I've
consciously NOT implemented the Whiteboard behavior, sticking to JavaServlet
recommendation.

Anyway - I hope Pax Web 8 is stable and fast enough to be used in production.
There are much more tests than we had in Pax Web 7 and I've added complex WAR
scenarios involving CDI, JSF and complex ServletContainerInitializer scenarios,
including web-fragment.xml integration tests.

I'll of course be releasing new versions if there's new Jetty, Tomcat or
Undertow release - in Pax Web 8 we no longer require TIPI releases for Tomcat.

If you see any problems or have nice feature requests, please create a GitHub
issue at usual place<https://github.com/ops4j/org.ops4j.pax.web/issues>[2].

kind regards
Grzegorz Grzybek
===