I have posted the below report to the Board. Please let me know if you
have any changes/complaints/whatever, and I'll get that updated ASAP.

Thanks

-- Rich

Apache Kibble is a suite of tools for collecting, aggregating and
visualizing activity in software projects. http://kibble.apache.org/

## Issues:

There are no issues requiring board attention at this time.

## Activity and Health

The was an uptick in traffic on the issues list - 16 emails sent
to list (0 in previous quarter) - reflecting new activity from new
contributors. However, we still remain in a situation where almost all
code is from one contributor, which is a continuing source of concern.

We continue to engage with other metrics agencies, with CHAOSS being at
the top of that list. But this has not yet, so far, mapped into much
actual new activity.

To answer questions from last report:

     On the "finding more people interested in the project" and
     "research on the topic" part - are you aware of the work being
     done at https://osr.cs.fau.de/people/ (I just recently came
     across several publications by Maximilian Capraro and Michael
     Dorner on open source and inner source activity metrics.)

I am not specifically familiar with these people and their work. Others
on the project may be. I will start a discussion of those individuals on
our lists, and attempt to reach out to them. Thank you.

     Another question to think about when trying to recruit more
     volunteers: How easy is it to setup Kibble without any prior
     experience? How easy is it to extend it?

The process for getting Kibble running -
https://apache-kibble.readthedocs.io/en/latest/setup.html - is indeed a
little intimidating. There has been discussion in the past about how to
simplify, or package, so that getting started isn't quite so onerous,
but here, too, we suffer from lacking the volunteer effort to make this
happen.

As for ease of extending - we believe it to be fairly easy, but the
proof is in people actually trying and reporting their success -
something that we have so far mostly lacked.

     Another question one could think about: Who are potential users
     and where do you find them (inside and outside the ASF)?

Potential users include any organization with some kind of Open Source
Programs Office, who wants to analyze their company's participation in
open source. And any university which is doing research in open source
in general. It may indeed be worthwhile trying to reach out to those
groups specifically.

We get good responses from both of those groups to our demos at FOSDEM,
but followup is weak.

Thank you for your questions, as they indicate useful directions where
we might do more active outreach.

## PMC changes:

 - Currently 12 PMC members.
 - Last PMC addition was Rafael Weingärtner on Fri Dec 08 2017

## Committer base changes:

 - Currently 12 committers.
 - Last committer addition was Rafael Weingärtner at Sat Dec 09 2017

## Releases:

We have not yet made a release.

## Mailing list activity:

List activity was flat from previous months, with the exception of the
increased traffic on the issues@ list, as mentioned above. We hope that
this is a trend that will continue. Issues, and associated pull
requests, were responded to swiftly, and the individuals involved appear
to have remained engaged. Time will tell.