That is exactly what I am describing.

I'll have to dig into the jersey handoff in order to understand though I
think you are saying that the patterns aren't used to route to any
particular filter chain. Not sure I understand that though given the code
in the jersey contributor base class - it loops through the patterns
creating separate chains. I'm sure it will become obvious when I dig in.

Thanks for the response.