Hi Rick -

Good to hear from you!

I don't think that there is any danger of getting out of sync with Ambari
expectations here but I may be missing something.

Let me try and summarize the work being done which is based on KIP-8 [1]
and you can tell me what your concerns are...

1. We will continue to support the native topology file which is what
Ambari is doing
2. We are introducing a simplified descriptor and shared provider config
mechanism that results in generated topologies that Ambari will be unaware
of in the near term
3. The topologies are generated by using the Ambari API to discover the
service details which obviously is compliant with the current Ambari REST
API but Ambari itself is unaware of it
4. The descriptors and provider config will be able to be monitored in
Zookeeper as well as local file system Ambari will remain inline with local
default.xml, knoxsso.xml and admin.xml topologies and unaware of ZK based
configs for now
5. Ambari improvements are planned to be able to manage the descriptors and
provider config and to push them to ZK when available otherwise to local
disk
6. Editing topologies that are generated from descriptors would be
problematic and lead to confusing when they get overwritten upon changes
discovered in the descriptors or service details via Ambari REST API. So
Sandeep is making the generated topologies readonly in the UI with an
indication as to why. Ambari is completely unaware of the Knox Admin-UI
currently and will likely remain so.

Does the above address your concerns and/or can you share what your
concerns are?

thanks!

--larry

1.