I just built it successfully the same way as you on my Linux Mint machine
with the following versions:

lmccay@NordzLinux:~/Projects/knox$ npm --version
*3.5.2*
lmccay@NordzLinux:~/Projects/knox$ mvn --version
*Apache Maven 3.6.0*
Maven home: /usr/share/maven
Java version: 10.0.2, vendor: Oracle Corporation, runtime:
/usr/lib/jvm/java-11-openjdk-amd64
OS name: "linux", version: "4.15.0-20-generic", arch: "amd64", family:
"unix"
lmccay@NordzLinux:~/Projects/knox$ java -version

Rather old version of NPM considering that I just installed it yesterday.