Hi Danilo,

On Wed, Aug 03, 2005 at 16:19:41 +0200, Danilo ??egan wrote:

> Perhaps using "am/pm" is best, since it's understandable for at least
> a part of targetted population.

If there isn't any better in the native language to distinguish "before
noon"/"after noon", probably yes.

> What did you actually put for German, and what was the
> reason and justification?

We use "vorm."/"nachm.", which are abbreviations for
"vormittags"/"nachmittags". There is no native wording for the two 12
hour periods of the 12 hour format, but colloquial these two expressions
cover at least nearly daylight time from 10:00-17:00 or so.. this is
also what the CLDR now lists as Common, in contrary to other platforms
that use AM/PM:

http://www.unicode.org/cldr/data/diff/main/de_DE.html#307
http://www.unicode.org/cldr/data/diff/main/de_DE.html#314

For sr_CS it is AM/PM in the CLDR:
http://www.unicode.org/cldr/data/diff/main/sr_CS.html#95
http://www.unicode.org/cldr/data/diff/main/sr_CS.html#100

For sr_YU also the OOo cyrillic strings are listed:
http://www.unicode.org/cldr/data/diff/main/sr_YU.html#112
http://www.unicode.org/cldr/data/diff/main/sr_YU.html#117

As we will align our locale data to the CLDR for OOo2.0.1 wherever
possible, would you say the CLDR Common value AM/PM is wrong there? Is
the OOo value better?

An while at it: so far nobody commented on the locale data audit for the
sr_YU locale, would you be so kind and investigate
http://l10n.openoffice.org/i18n_framework/cldr/LocaleDataAudit_OOo_CLDR.html#1186

and following?

Thanks
  Eike

--
 OOo/SO Calc core developer. Number formatter bedevilled I18N transpositionizer.
 GnuPG key 0x293C05FD:  997A 4C60 CE41 0149 0DB3  9E96 2F1A D073 293C 05FD