Subject: Re: [l10n-dev] [native-lang]: Proposal for the Yoruba Translation project
From:  David Fraser <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date:  Mon, 13 Dec 2004 09:47:09 +0200
Mailing-list:  contact [EMAIL PROTECTED]; run by ezmlm

Abayomi Onibudo wrote:

The need for Yoruba translation:

The Yoruba localization is a very important and urgent project required to move ahead on the modernization of the Yoruba language and culture. It is estimated that nearly 50 million people use the Yoruba language in some contexts. Of this number, over 20 million are native speakers of the language in its original homeland in Nigeria, Benin and Togo, while another 5 million native speakers are dispersed all over the world. Encarta Encyclopedia (http://www.encarta.com) lists Yoruba as the second largest language group in Africa. The Yoruba language if not made as localization in computing is endangered because it is currently not supported in the Information Age and may suffer extinction as we move to the next age. Taking a quick look at linguistic or national communities of similar size, one can see that, at over 20 million in population, the Yoruba are roughly equivalent to the total numbers of Dutch speakers (21 million, including Flemish speakers in Belgium). It is more than the total population of Australia (18 million) or the total number of speakers of Hungarian (14 million) or Greek (12 million). Therefore, like most of the above peoples, the Yoruba people should have the rights to enjoy the benefit of the advancement of computerization by having their localization realized.

Fantastic to see this proposal!

Project Goals:

The project will be primarily concerned with using Unicode
editors to perform translation of OpenOffice to Yoruba.

Has this work been done before anywhere? Surely once the Unicode work is complete something like POEdit should work fine...
By the way did you know about using PO files to translate OpenOffice.org?

Other specific Objectives will include:

Develop keyboard-mapping software that supports the
Yoruba character set;
Implement Yoruba character font support for the X11 and Windows
platforms.

Are you aware of other initiatives like mentioned in this message on the a12n-forum?
http://lists.kabissa.org/lists/archives/public/a12n-forum/msg00235.html

As a by-product of our work, we will also:

- create a dictionary of computer/IT terminology in Yoruba
that will be accessible to the public over the Internet;

- develop/implement software to manage the translation
process using web-based tools to provide a simple, widely
available solution for non-technical translators;

I'd suggest that you don't have to re-invent the wheel yourself!
I'm busy working on a translation / translation management web system myself which works for any project that uses PO files (which OpenOffice.org can be translated with too). More details to follow...

- develop a website to serve as a point of reference for
translating other open source software into the Yoruba
language and host future efforts to translate other
components of the Open Source software into Yoruba.

Great. We've definitely found it works well to have one central place for co-ordination translation of different programs into a given language.

This project will deliver:

- Openoffice applications needed by an average computer
user in the Yoruba language;

- a package of open-source Unicode fonts supporting the
Yoruba character set;

- a keyboard layout for the Yoruba alphabet;

- documentation and tools providing information on how to
install configure and use OpenOffice with support for Yoruba language.

This is why you are allowed to create a Yoruba native-lang project now; we have a new
"classification"; Level 1 projects being early localization projects
only, level 2 projects being full-fledged native-lang projects with much
more ressources and a real community.

Desired domain name is http://yo.openoffice.org where yo is the ISO code for Yoruba

+1. Great to hear about this, I hope you guys can get it going!

David

from [Charles-H.Schulz] [Permanent Link][Original]