Hi dwb,

On Fri, Jan 27, 2006 at 08:57:24 +0000, dwb wrote:

> Regarding en-GB (British English), and probably the same applies to en-IE,
> the only issue is over the first day of the week.
>
> I wrote to Dr Stockton at Surrey University - he has done research on the
> subject and can offer arguments and historical perspectives supporting both
> views.

Nice :-/

> "There are some things in the UK for which, overall, we really do not use a
> standard, and this is one of them."
>
> Also: "Certainly we have historically started the week on Sunday (unlike,
> it seems, the Creator who apparently chose Monday);

Well, that just depends on the religion in use.. ;-)

> but the working week starts on Monday."

which also derived from religion.. so not much helpful either.

> He cites BS EN 28601:1992 which is based on ISO 8601 first edition, which
> states that the first day of the week is Monday and adopts the ISO
> algorithm for week numbering.

I think we can sort that out to be Monday.

> I have also written to the BSI, but have not had a response yet.

>From previous discussions I remember that the BSI defined it to be
Monday, which apparently is the reason that CLDR lists Monday.

> Given that both Sunday and Monday appear to be in common usage, why don't
> we consider making the first day of the week user configurable within the
> options settings? We could then default to the ISO standard (Monday) and
> those who prefer Sunday could simply set their choice under options settings?

That could be an option, but honestly, I strongly doubt that anyone
would spend resources on it. Maybe the British should simply make up
their mind ;-)

  Eike

--
 OOo/SO Calc core developer. Number formatter stricken i18n transpositionizer.
 GnuPG key 0x293C05FD:  997A 4C60 CE41 0149 0DB3  9E96 2F1A D073 293C 05FD