Hi,

I finally came up with an algorithm to produce 6 character IDs which can be generated by a small perl tool. (which I will write soon)

Its based on a CRC32 checksum which happens to be unique for todays sdf files. (even including old strings which are still in the SUN database)

Packing it with digits, letters and some special characters allows to squeeze it in 6 characters.

What will have to get decided is whether to use small and capital letters and which special characters to use.

My suggestion is to use small characters only since that's easier to speak, say on the phone.

We need 41 symbols (digits) to squeeze it into 6 characters, so there are five left after 10 digits and 26 characters. I suggest to use these
+ - < = >

I would love to also kick out the l and the o since they can be mixed up with 1 and 0 but the we would need some more special characters which IMHO is ugly.

So if no one objects I will use 10 digits, small letters and the above mentioned characters to pack the IDs.

what do you think?

Regards,
Gregor