Hi ,

Mathias Bauer schrieb:
Ivo Hinkelmann wrote:

Hi Eike,

Eike Rathke wrote:
I guess that for building a language pack the OOo source tree would not
be needed anymore, except maybe a few modules, is still a wish for the
far future?
MBA had the idea to move also all resource source files into a own module but we first need to discuss this a bit further ....

This is a very reduced version of my idea. :-)

We have to balance two requirements: developers working on e.g. a dialog
may want to keep the english resources in their code module (this has to
be clarified). OTOH developers building language packs would welcome to
get rid of the source trees.

There is a possible and clean way to fulfil both requirements, but it
would require some coding work: we could keep the resouces in the source
tree, but change the resource system in a way that the localized
versions don't contain complete resources but only the strings. At
runtime the code then will always load the english resource and mergers
in all localized strings. Another potential benefit: we could get rid of
the sdf format here and move to e.g. po files (or any other format that
the localization community might prefer).

the reason why we did not implement that is that this will not work that easy with helpcontent2, readme , java properties etc ... I did a hack long time ago that worked for officecfg menus and src files but thats only half of the localisation.

Moving all resource files into a own module would be a real benefit as you only need to checkout and build one module for resouces and the helpcontent2 module.

But we have to find out if the gained flexibility is worth the effort.
or if there are other, better ways to make all people happy.

it is impossible to make all people happy imho ;)

Regards,
Mathias

Cheers,
Ivo