Mike,

you can do that simply by making a compendium file from all existing
translations in old po files and migrating it to the new po's. You
need gettext and Translation Toolkit
(http://translate.sourceforge.net/wiki/) and the new pot files.

Here are sample commands (I am not sure I have the right language code
in the second one):

A) first create a compendium file (where OLD_PO_FILES is a folder with
old po files):

pocompendium compendium.po -d OLD_PO_FILES

B) to migrate existing translation and the compendium.po file into
latest version (where NEW_PO_FILES is the folder where the new po
files will be saved, and NEW_POT_FILES is the folder with the 3.2 pot
files):

pomigrate2.sh -C=compendium.po -F --locale sq-AL --no-wrap
OLD_PO_FILES NEW_PO_FILES NEW_POT_FILES

Scripts pomigrate2.sh and pocompendium are a part of Translation
Toolkit mentioned above.

You could maybe go directly from your old 2.x files to 3.2, but I
really cannot predict the result :)

Of course, after this there would be some (from 3.1 to 3.2 a few
thousand) or many (from 2.x maybe many thousands?) fuzzy translations
and someone from the Albanian team should go through them manually.

Hope this helps,
m.