On 23 oct. 2009, at 01:41, André Schnabel wrote:

Rafaella Braconi schrieb:

If during the time November 2008 and October 2009, you, your team has reached any major milestone or anything that you feel it's important to mention, please send a short email indicating language or teams involved and a short description of what you have achieved.

There have no "big bang" achievemnts for the Germanophone team within the last year - at least if you just look at the results.

I'd like to mention a little "big bang" related to the German team.

André's efforts on the Open Language Tool XLIFF editor now allows the translation community at large (beyond OpenOffice.org or any FLOSS localization team) to have a free software based XLIFF editor.

Before that, translators had to work with closed source XLIFF editors or used relatively non trivial conversion paths (Okapi/Rainbow+OmegaT).

Now, if their client wants them to work on XLIFF files, they can do so quite easily in one step: open it in OLT and work.

That is a very good example of how FLOSS communities can provide professionals with amazing tools and I'd hope that will allow professional translators to participate more to FLOSS localization projects. I think that is an important challenge for FLOSS l10n communities.

Thank you André for your recent work on OLT, and thank you to Tim Foster and all the others at Sun who first brought us this tool originally (STE, for the old timers here).

Jean-Christophe Helary (JA/EN > FR)