Andrea Pescetti wrote:
Rafaella Braconi wrote:

Hi Andrea,

My proposal was to have all remaining RC10 builds and language packs
be tested automatically to check if they get installed and then to
have them distributed over the mirror network. ... The proposal has
been accepted:
http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/ReleaseStatus_Minutes#2011-02-07

Reading yesterday's minutes I had understood that you would post a
"proposal" to these list, not a "decision". I mean, I had the impression
that this was still under discussion.

This means that on February 11th, we will proceed with the
distribution of automatically approved build/language packs.

Please don't. This could very easily be mistaken for a way to tell the
community that they are not needed, while the truth is that a lot of N-L

I can understand your concern but this is absolutely not the way we want to go and how this step should be seen. Of course we need final tests for the RC build. As we (Oracle) do not have engineers with an understanding for all these supported languages, we need your support for this. This is really highly appreciated.

projects have already approved their builds explicitly, and as shown by
yesterday's figures there are as many approved builds for OOo 3.2.1 in
its entire lifespan as for OOo 3.3.0 in less than two weeks. So I don't
see a need for this.

Please have a look on "http://download.openoffice.org/all_rc.html";. Every gap in the install and langpack tables means the build is released and no longer in RC status. But IMHO there are to less gaps. Furthermore there are languages which have no gaps, means they have no release at all.

These NL teams have no chance to release the builds as they have not the manpower, hardware for the final release tests or other reasons. Maybe they have a well localized build but how to get these builds to the users?

Here we want to step in with a smaller test amount to help to release these languages, too. AFAIK we haven't seen any bigger issues which are language dependent, so IMHO we can assume that a more simple test is sufficiant for the remaining languages. So, an automated testing is what we are offering.

Especially for less used platforms like Solaris Sparc/x86, Linux 64-bit, MacOS Intel (regarding the tables) this could be very helpful.

But maybe you have another idea how to help here? :-)

Best regards

Marcus