I don't know if it is really on-topic, but i want to contribute my thoughts:

The context hould be proof reading, preferrably on the document level.
I can imagine the document being about football, making hyphenation of the Dutch word balletje to bal-le-tje much more likely then bal=let=je (small ballet).
Of course, this is far out of reach yet.

Nevertheless, it makes it clear that grammar has more priority then just spell-checking.

So I plee for a (maybe dummy) context checker, using the spell checker as subcomponent.
Or, said differently: upgrading the spellchecker to a context sensitive one.

The context version could also be a lot better dertermining language and 'quoted' language parts.

So I would prefer the interface to be directed in a way that:
- the proofreader can ask for a scope (document, paragraph to the calling software) - the proofreader does its proofreading, using a defined interface subcomponents like a spell checker.

I think it is time to integrate spell and grammar checking into one, by defining the way to work together using interfaces.

Now we are busy discussing this, i would appreciate to define more warnign colors in text processor, mayby representing the level of seriousness.

I think really integrating language support like this gives OOo (and by using a standard API other word processors as well) a big advantage.

Though this is not technical at all, I still hope it contributes.

Ruud