On Thu, 30 May 2024 20:13:24 -0600,
bill-auger wrote:

> On Thu, 30 May 2024 19:42:03 -0600 Luke wrote:
> > Fair enough, I'll push out a new pacman that has the armv7h
> > makepkg.conf use the ALARM version (zstd -c -T0 --ultra -20 -) plus
> > --single-thread.
>
> i think we want to omit `--ultra -20` - the manual says that will use more
> memory

I'm sorry, I mis-copy/pasted.  That's the Arch version.  The ALARM one
is (zstd -c -z -q -).

> the -z and -q are optional - im not so clear what -c does;
> but it looks more important
>
> > -c,  --stdout: write  to  standard output (even if it is the
> >                console); keep original files (disable --rm).
>
> i would go with one of these:
>
> COMPRESSZST=(zstd -c -z -q --single-thread -)
> COMPRESSZST=(zstd -c       --single-thread -)

I went with (zstd -c --single-thread -).

You can get this in the pacman 6.1.0-3.parabola7
/usr/share/pacman/defaults/makepkg.conf.armv7h.

> we do not need to follow archarm so closely on this - beefcake is the primary
> client of this code - archarm uses much different build tools than we do

I don't like the attitude that "beefcake is the primary client of this
code".  I think it's important that folks be able to build the
software on ordinary computers that they have laying around.

Unless I'm rebuilding a whole bunch of packages or building one of
particularly problematically large packages (e.g. the Firefox
derivatives), I tend build things on my laptop.  Because it's
important that such a thing be possible, dammit.  :)

--
Happy hacking,
~ Luke T. Shumaker